WHAT IS WALKING FOOTBALL?
Walking Football is a small-sided, low-impact, modified version of the game, suitable for all levels of ability and fitness, from people who are returning to sport after a break or those who have never played before. Walking Football aims to provide participants physical & mental health benefits, social contentedness and promotion of the benefits of ongoing physical activity.
The program will highlight the health, well-being and social benefits of regular football and offer exercise activities for older people. Football Victoria’s Walking Football program caters for individuals of all ages, with a focus on men and women aged over 55 years.
HOW WALKING FOOTBALL IS PLAYED?
- Matches are played with modified formats (5v5/6v6) on smaller pitches with shortened game times
- Running is not allowed. A participant always has to have one foot on the ground.
- It is a non-contact version of the game.
- The ball cannot be kicked above head height.
- There is no heading of the ball.
- There are no ‘referees’ as such and the competitive angle is kept to a minimum.
- The focus is on fun and making friends