The Home of the Matildas at La Trobe University was completed in June 2023, ready to welcome the best players from around the world for the FIFA Women's World Cup Australia and New Zealand 2023TM.
In May 2021, the Victorian Government announced a $101.1m investment to make the world-class Home of The Matildas at La Trobe University, Bundoora, a reality.
This announcement, following the 2020 commitment of $15 million from the Federal Government, green lit construction of the Home of The Matildas and Home to Football Victoria, within a purpose built, state-of-the-art State Football Centre, alongside a State Rugby Union Centre at La Trobe University, Bundoora.
Stage 1 of the precinct was completed ahead of the FIFA Women’s World Cup Australia and New Zealand 2023™, an event being staged on our shores for the very first time.
The historic precinct was three years in the making, with Football Australia and FV partnering to drive the project with the support of the Victorian State Government since 2018. The unity of all partners - the Victorian Government, Australian Government, Football Victoria, Football Australia and La Trobe University - will deliver this world-class facility for Victoria to further support the football dreams of players at all levels.
- FIFA and AFC compliant elite training facility
- Five pitches including
- Show Pitch – Premium FIFA standard Hybrid
- 1 additional Premium FIFA standard Hybrid
- 3 FIFA standard synthetic pitches
- 400m2 high-performance Gym
- Additional Rehab/pilates / yoga multi-purpose space
- Sprint track
- Hydration station
- Med ball wall
- Warm-up / kicking zone
- Sports Science / High performance
- Prehab/rehab zone
- Sports science lab
- Doctor / Physio / Psychologist consulting suites
- 2 Massage spaces
- Strapping bench
- Coaching hub/office
- Elite-level Recovery / Wet Area
- Hot & Cold Plunge Pools
- ‘Endless River’ recovery pool with swimming jets
- Multiple change rooms including a purpose-designed circular Matildas locker room
- Referee change-room
- Auditorium / Theatrette and 3 configurable team meetings rooms with pitch markings in the carpet (team walk-throughs)
- Approximately 800 seat grand-stand with additional terrace/balcony for standing room and/or functions - overlooking the main pitch
- Function spaces and bar overlooking the main pitch (with commercial kitchen attached)
- Public Café and match day canteen
- Matildas and FV historical/interactive displays and memorabilia
- Media production centre
- Broadcast spaces and capability
- Players dining room
- Player’s lounge, study space, and 2 sleep rooms (sleep/meditation/prayer / quiet rooms)
- Property office and laundry
- Football Victoria offices within the main administration building
- Public amenities throughout – including Changing Places, all abilities, gender neutral and parents facilities
- Purpose-built international standard Futsal pitch (Stage 2 - subject to funding)
- This facility will support wheelchair football, rugby, and other indoor events
- The Futsal pitch will also provide an indoor training/game warm-up space
Supporting Australia's best-loved national teams
The CommBank Matildas will have their very own purpose-built, high-performance home base.
The facility will be available for the team's exclusive use whenever they are in camp, providing an elite training environment that caters to every need the team requires as the pre-eminent facility in the region.
In addition, Australia's other national teams, including the CommBank Young Matildas, CommBank Future Matildas, Subway Socceroos and Subway Olyroos will also utilise the training facility, to support their aspirations on the world stage.
State football centre
In addition to supporting Australia’s national women’s football teams, the facility will provide year-round access to elite training and match facilities for the Victorian football community.
Both junior and senior players will be able to follow in the footsteps of their football heroes with opportunities to train and play on the five natural, hybrid and synthetic pitches and a purpose-built Futsal pitch.
La Trobe Sports Park
The Home of the Matildas is part of the La Trobe University Sports Park, a world-class precinct for teaching, research, community participation and elite sport.
The Sports Park houses a state-of-the-art teaching and research facility, an elite performance space and world-class sporting facilities to support major sports events, regular grass-roots competitions and community recreation opportunities for up to 10,000 local community members per week.