The multi-field synthetic surface would provide one senior football (soccer) field, one junior football (soccer) field, two under 6-7 Miniroos football (soccer) fields and one cricket field (overlaid across the football fields).
The six existing sports ground lights would be renewed with LED lights and a perimeter fence installed around the synthetic facility.
Why the project is needed for football
Sport and recreation plays a vital role in maintaining and improving community health and well being. The installation of a synthetic surface at Dorothy Laver Reserve West will provide:
- a year-round football (soccer) focused facility that accommodates the full age spectrum of juniors through to seniors, and increases opportunities for women and girls
- Boroondara’s first Women’s National Premier League (NPLW) senior football (soccer) field
- enhanced opportunities for passive recreation with approximately 2,800m² of land currently used for active sport being converted to passive open space
- energy efficient and environmental friendly LED sports ground lighting that increase training opportunities for participants between the hours of 5pm and 9pm
- relocation of the cricket wicket off the football (soccer) field, providing a safer facility for sporting participants.
The project is funded through the 2018-19 capital works budget and foreshadowed in the 2019-20 capital works budget. The total project cost is estimated at $4.5m.
Construction is proposed to commences in early 2019 and be completed in 2020. The playing surface at Dorothy Laver Reserve West would be unavailable during the construction period. Access to Dorothy Laver Reserve East, the shared path and hit-up wall will not be affected by these works.
Please click here to ‘Have your say’ on behalf of football and complete the survey by 5pm, Friday 6 July 2018.
This survey will also provide you with an opportunity to register your email to receive an update on the outcome of the consultation.
For further information or to submit any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 9278 4595